With more than 18,000 species of butterflies in the world, India is known to have 1501+ species. Today butterfly watching has become a major hobby for many and information about these beautiful insect is available from books and online through net. We can see 140+ butterflies in forests of Central India. Butterflies can be seen in open grasslands, thick forests, bushes and especially around flowers and water bodies.
Butterfly fall under insect order Lepidoptera, have 4 wings, 6 legs, 3 parted main body comprising of head, thorax and abdomen, compound eyes, exo skeleton and a pair of antennae. They are classified into two Super families: Hesperioidea and Papilionoidea. It is a pleasure to see these beautiful creations of god.
Kanha National Park is a very good place to observe and study butterflies with more than 115 species listed till now although Satpuda / Panchmarhi area is known to have more than 130 species and is more famous for watching these silent flyers. Kanha Village Eco Resort has planted host plants which help to attract native butterflies species to lay eggs. They also have spots with flowers, grassland, trees and shrubs which act as perfect hosts for our colored friends once they start flying making their property a hot spot for butterflies and their predators spiders and birds.
If you are interested in photographing butterflies or are interested in studying them do remember to carry a binocular and good guide book on butterflies of Central India and for photography a good macro lens with flash and light tripod or monopod. Butterflies can be seen in all the seasons but late June onwards till early December is one of the best time to see them.
Here is a small list of Butterflies found in Tiger reserves of Central India. Full list of Butterflies found in Central India can be checked at Kanha Village Eco Resort's website.
1) Swallowtails (Common Rose, Pachliopta arstolochiae, Crimson Rose, Pachliopta hector, Common Mime , Papilio clytia, Lime Butterfly, Papilio demoleus, Common Mormon ,Papilio polytes),
2) Whites & Yellows (Common Jezebel, Delias eucharis, Yellow Orange Tip, lxias pyrene, Lemon Emigrant , Catopsilia crocale , Common Grass Yellow, Eurema hecabe, Small Grass Yellow, Eurema brigitta, rubella
3) Blues (Zebra Blue , Leptotes plinius, Pale Grass Blue , Pseudoziziria maha, Gram Blue , Euchrysops Cnejus, Common Silverline , Spindasis vulcanus, Plum Judy , Abisara echerius),
4) Milkweed butterflies (Plain Tiger , Danaus chrysippus, Common Tiger, Danaus genutia, Glassy Tiger, Parantica aglea, Indian Common Crow , Euploea core) ;
5) Browns (Common Evening Brown, Melanites leda, is meme Dark Evening Brown, Melanitis phedima)) ;
6.) Nymph Lids (Angled Castor, Ariadne ariadne, Common Castor , Ariadne merione , Common Leopard , Phalanta phalantha, Lemon Pansy , Junonia lemonia, Yellow Pansy , Junonia hiertas, Peacock Pansy, Junonia almanac, Chocolate Pansy, Precis iphita, Blue Pansy ,Junonia orithya, Grey Pansy, Junonia atlites, Danaid Eggfly, Hylpolimnas missipus, Orange Oakleaf , Kallima inachus, Common Sailor ,Neptis hylas, varmona, Baronet, Euthalia nais Synphaedra nais, Tawny Coster ,Acraea violated.